Types of Hip Hop Dance Moves
The popularity of hip hop is astounding. Its culture has influenced communities around the world, and that is evident in a small way by the popularity of our hip hop dance lessons. Dance has been a big part of hip hop music from its very inception, which only dates back to the early 1970s. But as fresh and exciting as it was back then, today’s hip hop dance moves are equally as innovative and just as much fun.
What is the Meaning of Hip Hop Dance?
What makes hip hop dance so special is its aversion to any classical or recited dance moves; hip hop music literally came from the streets and the dance moves can claim the same birthplace. People who were untrained in any kind of dance technique would take to the streets and move their bodies sporadically to the rhythm of the music.
Despite not having any direct connection, much of hip hop dance was loosely assimilated from African heritage, tap dancing, and even some swing moves. Brought together, this free style of dance became popular throughout urban communities, and as hip hop became the dominant music of today’s time, so have its dance moves.
Hip Hop Dance Techniques
Within hip hop dance itself are several techniques. Each has its own movements that can play off the next and all can be blended into one cohesive routine.
- Popping: Popping is when the dancer jerks his or her body in a manner that resembles having muscle contractions. These movements are called “pops” and was first performed by the Electric Boogaloos. However, the creation of the dance form is credited to California native Sam Solomon.
- Locking: Developed by another California native named Don Campbell, locking consists of quick movements of the arms and upper half of the body, which then “lock” into different positions for short periods of time. This all happens in line with the beat and makes for an almost dramatic series of moves.
- Breaking: This is what many people instinctively associate with hip hop. Breakdancing had no real structure, its users doing improvisational moves while on their feet, but what is more typical is the moves that happen while the dancers are on the ground doing different poses.
- Boogaloo: Very similar to popping, except most of the movements are based on the hips and legs. Boogaloo dancers move as if they have no bones and create movements sometimes referred to as “snakin’” or “old man.”
- Social Dance: Just like it sounds, social dance is really just club dancing or any kind of dancing in a social environment. There’s no right or wrong way to go about doing this, just as long as you’re dancing to the rhythm of the song.
Hip Hop Dance Tips
Hip hop is much more about attitude than it is about learning any specific technique. Of course it’s important to know the basic steps and moves, but putting those into a style specific to your personality is what makes dancing to hip hop so unique.
Performing Dance Arts offers hip hop dance lessons to kids of all ages and at any level. Our dance instructors are versatile enough to make sure all our dancers are the best training possible, even if they’re only learning for fun. Contact us to learn about how to register for our summer dance programs.
Curious about trying a recreational dance program to see how your child enjoys it? Our recreational dance classes i… https://t.co/vv5NlE9YyFFollow
At Performing Dance Arts, we will help your child develop higher self-esteem, better coordination, discipline, crea… https://t.co/sQbCICcc2VFollow
Want your child to improve their scores at a dance competition? Here are some things that judges look for at dance… https://t.co/X6qfE0IrInFollow
Looking for a fun activity for your preschooler? We offer Pre-Jazz, Pre-Ballet, Pre-Tap, Pre-Acro and a Pre-Combo c… https://t.co/gFvtIp6FV4Follow
Here are some important tips for you and your child to remember. With all the kids’ dance classes we’ve taught, we… https://t.co/m9WdG3MCq6Follow
Established in 1986, Performing Dance Arts has become a reliable name for high-quality dance training at both the r… https://t.co/c4i5jUCh0iFollow
Dance has several benefits for kids and can actually help improve their performance in school. Here are a few reaso… https://t.co/eiykGMoj7uFollow
The Performing Dance Arts Full-Time Competitive Program is a demanding and rigorous program offering the highest ca… https://t.co/ex2XJIGViAFollow
Tap dance lessons have physical, social, and mental advantages that can help your kids start living healthy, succes… https://t.co/IrYGfURZ5QFollow
Performing Dance Arts offers children between the ages of three and five a chance to get involved in our dance less… https://t.co/XHEEPOYaDBFollow
Does your child enjoy doing cartwheels and can’t seem to sit still? Register in our acro dance lessons and let your… https://t.co/GpXqc35GdIFollow
The best dancers in the world are often the most flexible. And flexibility comes with improving the range of motion… https://t.co/3SapNEslpGFollow
Our dress code and professional environment teach children discipline, and they will become responsible for their u… https://t.co/zDf1YBlC86Follow