Types of Hip Hop Dance Moves
The popularity of hip hop is astounding. Its culture has influenced communities around the world, and that is evident in a small way by the popularity of our hip hop dance lessons. Dance has been a big part of hip hop music from its very inception, which only dates back to the early 1970s. But as fresh and exciting as it was back then, today’s hip hop dance moves are equally as innovative and just as much fun.
What is the Meaning of Hip Hop Dance?
What makes hip hop dance so special is its aversion to any classical or recited dance moves; hip hop music literally came from the streets and the dance moves can claim the same birthplace. People who were untrained in any kind of dance technique would take to the streets and move their bodies sporadically to the rhythm of the music.
Despite not having any direct connection, much of hip hop dance was loosely assimilated from African heritage, tap dancing, and even some swing moves. Brought together, this free style of dance became popular throughout urban communities, and as hip hop became the dominant music of today’s time, so have its dance moves.
Hip Hop Dance Techniques
Within hip hop dance itself are several techniques. Each has its own movements that can play off the next and all can be blended into one cohesive routine.
- Popping: Popping is when the dancer jerks his or her body in a manner that resembles having muscle contractions. These movements are called “pops” and was first performed by the Electric Boogaloos. However, the creation of the dance form is credited to California native Sam Solomon.
- Locking: Developed by another California native named Don Campbell, locking consists of quick movements of the arms and upper half of the body, which then “lock” into different positions for short periods of time. This all happens in line with the beat and makes for an almost dramatic series of moves.
- Breaking: This is what many people instinctively associate with hip hop. Breakdancing had no real structure, its users doing improvisational moves while on their feet, but what is more typical is the moves that happen while the dancers are on the ground doing different poses.
- Boogaloo: Very similar to popping, except most of the movements are based on the hips and legs. Boogaloo dancers move as if they have no bones and create movements sometimes referred to as “snakin’” or “old man.”
- Social Dance: Just like it sounds, social dance is really just club dancing or any kind of dancing in a social environment. There’s no right or wrong way to go about doing this, just as long as you’re dancing to the rhythm of the song.
Hip Hop Dance Tips
Hip hop is much more about attitude than it is about learning any specific technique. Of course it’s important to know the basic steps and moves, but putting those into a style specific to your personality is what makes dancing to hip hop so unique.
Performing Dance Arts offers hip hop dance lessons to kids of all ages and at any level. Our dance instructors are versatile enough to make sure all our dancers are the best training possible, even if they’re only learning for fun. Contact us to learn about how to register for our summer dance programs.
Our recreational programs are high energy, led by experienced and motivating instructors. Divided by age and abilit… https://t.co/iiOzUMA17ZFollow
Whether your child is three or five, tap dancing is a great activity for them to start! Help your child develop phy… https://t.co/pitSLNNheWFollow
Attention all PDA Recreational kiddos! CRAZY hair week starting tomorrow. Let’s go kids...show us your craziest ha… https://t.co/8nqGKqy5KgFollow
All dancers dance for different reasons! With our recreational programs you won’t just learn to dance, you’ll learn… https://t.co/2aBTf5kJLaFollow
Acro dance classes help children develop strength, flexibility, coordination, and much more! Our latest blog gives… https://t.co/KIVZGiRIYXFollow
‼️SNEAK PEEK‼️ PDA is proud to present “THE PROJECT” an initiative started in 2016 so our dancers could give back t… https://t.co/a33kSHy2XmFollow
It’s getting chilly out there! Be sure to give your body a proper warm up before practicing to prevent injuries and… https://t.co/u9sNqiAT5iFollow
To all our PDA families.. Don't forget to roll back that clock an hour before you go to bed tonight!! . . .… https://t.co/r7LOjKWG6pFollow
Jazz is one of our most popular forms of dance from beginner to advanced! Check out some of our competition videos… https://t.co/RxUKd1BbawFollow
Here at PDA, our teaching team is made up of 22 teachers and teaching assistants! We’re also one of the few studios… https://t.co/ZpRmIHHSkbFollow
👻👻HAPPY HALLOWEEN👻👻 We hope you all have a SPOOKTACULAR & safe night, from all of us at PDA! Enjoy, BOO👻 The studio… https://t.co/NUnoFG0NUfFollow
Poise and confidence are just two of the benefits your child will enjoy when they learn to dance! From hip-hop to b… https://t.co/umZ7th2m1lFollow
You’re never too young to learn how to dance! We offer pre-Jazz, Ballet, Acro, and a combo class for children ages… https://t.co/yc4u27xwqcFollow
Did you know, all our teachers have their teacher’s certificate? At Performing Dance Arts, we don’t have any studen… https://t.co/uM68qCT4hZFollow
Our Micro-Mini Competitive Dance Program trains twice a week for a total of 4-5 classes. The perfect program for yo… https://t.co/ithzXpN4uLFollow
👻👻HEY KIDDOS👻👻 Halloween Dress Up Week begins tonight in Etobicoke & tomorrow in Vaughan. We can’t wait to see all… https://t.co/T2hycWFUX5Follow