Types of Hip Hop Dance Moves
The popularity of hip hop is astounding. Its culture has influenced communities around the world, and that is evident in a small way by the popularity of our hip hop dance lessons. Dance has been a big part of hip hop music from its very inception, which only dates back to the early 1970s. But as fresh and exciting as it was back then, today’s hip hop dance moves are equally as innovative and just as much fun.
What is the Meaning of Hip Hop Dance?
What makes hip hop dance so special is its aversion to any classical or recited dance moves; hip hop music literally came from the streets and the dance moves can claim the same birthplace. People who were untrained in any kind of dance technique would take to the streets and move their bodies sporadically to the rhythm of the music.
Despite not having any direct connection, much of hip hop dance was loosely assimilated from African heritage, tap dancing, and even some swing moves. Brought together, this free style of dance became popular throughout urban communities, and as hip hop became the dominant music of today’s time, so have its dance moves.
Hip Hop Dance Techniques
Within hip hop dance itself are several techniques. Each has its own movements that can play off the next and all can be blended into one cohesive routine.
- Popping: Popping is when the dancer jerks his or her body in a manner that resembles having muscle contractions. These movements are called “pops” and was first performed by the Electric Boogaloos. However, the creation of the dance form is credited to California native Sam Solomon.
- Locking: Developed by another California native named Don Campbell, locking consists of quick movements of the arms and upper half of the body, which then “lock” into different positions for short periods of time. This all happens in line with the beat and makes for an almost dramatic series of moves.
- Breaking: This is what many people instinctively associate with hip hop. Breakdancing had no real structure, its users doing improvisational moves while on their feet, but what is more typical is the moves that happen while the dancers are on the ground doing different poses.
- Boogaloo: Very similar to popping, except most of the movements are based on the hips and legs. Boogaloo dancers move as if they have no bones and create movements sometimes referred to as “snakin’” or “old man.”
- Social Dance: Just like it sounds, social dance is really just club dancing or any kind of dancing in a social environment. There’s no right or wrong way to go about doing this, just as long as you’re dancing to the rhythm of the song.
Hip Hop Dance Tips
Hip hop is much more about attitude than it is about learning any specific technique. Of course it’s important to know the basic steps and moves, but putting those into a style specific to your personality is what makes dancing to hip hop so unique.
Performing Dance Arts offers hip hop dance lessons to kids of all ages and at any level. Our dance instructors are versatile enough to make sure all our dancers are the best training possible, even if they’re only learning for fun. Contact us to learn about how to register for our summer dance programs.
Introducing your 2018 Junior Male Best Dancer Orlando!!!! We are so proud of you jackson_kane_foley Bravo buddy on… https://t.co/Sv2IzwcS3qFollow
So many amazing Moments happened over the last week!! Huge congratulations to our Pee Wee kiddos for winning Top Sc… https://t.co/3eyIhWvGK0Follow
WE DID IT!! Congratulations to my TEAM, FACULTY, & PARENTS, on winning the 2018 Studio of the Year Orlando, and we… https://t.co/9mu2lBBx2NFollow
The moment we have been waiting and training for has finally arrived!!! We are so excited to share the stage tonigh… https://t.co/YJeH6LFLoLFollow
Don’t forget a second! Our 2018 Year End Show is now available on DVD! Order your copy before August 1st and cheris… https://t.co/AQf7t3NTSPFollow
At our dance studios, your child will discover proper posture and discipline when they learn the basics of classica… https://t.co/3KBkQ86U1SFollow
PDA Summer Dance Intensive is definitely one not to be missed! Come DANCE, sweat and be inspired with this incredib… https://t.co/syjwzGMRinFollow
We’ve been quietly working our buns off, and We Are Ready!! We are so excited for Nationals in Orlando thedanceawar… https://t.co/YLgWhluDiIFollow
Although all dancers dance for different reasons, dancers who participate in our dance classes learn life skills th… https://t.co/9eMtpcactbFollow
You’re never too young to learn how to dance! Our dance lessons are available for boys and girls from 2 ½ years and… https://t.co/guROfr5kncFollow
Boasting two professional studios, here at PDA we provide dance training for kids in Vaughan, King, Maple, Kleinbur… https://t.co/cy3JW12HRQFollow
Happy Canada Everyone!! We hope you all have a wonderful and safe holiday weekend! Enjoy🇨🇦 https://t.co/alL9HxLYOZFollow
Recreational dance promotes a number of life skills that our dancers can use in all of their endeavors! From buildi… https://t.co/PW0yIGcXc5Follow
‼️VOTE VOTE VOTE‼️ Please go to the website below and vote for “There Will Be Time”, we need your votes dancers, fr… https://t.co/j1rM2fTq8yFollow
Balance and flexibility aren’t just important skills for dance, they’re concepts that continue to benefit our dance… https://t.co/X8nhKVrjAsFollow