If you have ever watched a show like So You Think You Can Dance, you have probably seen all outfits that dancers wear depending on the genre. For hip hop, often the clothing is baggy and paired with fun accessories like chains and hats; however, does that mean your child should dress the same way if they are enrolled in hip hop dance classes in Toronto and Etobicoke? For more information about what to expect in hip hop classes and what type of clothing is appropriate for hip hop dancers, check out our beginner’s guide to dance classes in Toronto.
What to Wear to Hip Hop Class
When choosing the right clothing and shoes for hip hop class, you must keep in mind that you need to be comfortable. The outfits are not as formal as the outfits required for a ballet class, but there is still a standard for the type of clothing. Here’s what you need to know about the clothing and shoes for hip hop classes.
What Shoes to Wear
Shoes are extremely important for dancers, and although dancers may not wear ballet shoes, they still need good support and comfort from their shoes. As with all indoor activities, the shoes should have a non-marking athletic bottom and a good grip on the floor. The shoes should also be sturdy to protect the feet from the quick and powerful dance movements. You can wear a simple sneaker or stylish athletic shoes, depending on your budget and taste. It is not recommended to wear thin canvas tennis shoes or sneakers that are designed for casual wear because they do not have the appropriate cushioning and support as athletic shoes. Proper shoe support will protect your feet and knees and provide you with the stability that will prevent you from twisting and ankle.
Keep in mind that some sport specific sneakers are not ideal for dance such as running shoes. Running shoes are designed with the assumption that you are moving in one straight direction, but since you need stability to spin and move around, you need a shoe that is better suited for dance. The two key elements of a good shoe for hip hop dance include the following:
- Good stabilization of the foot and ankle for all types of motion
- Good cushioning throughout the sole for jumping and landing
What Clothes to Wear
The right clothes for hip hop dance classes are items that are comfortable to move around in that you don’t mind getting sweaty. Sweatpants or loose-fitting athletic pants and a tank top, t-shirts, or sweaters are good attire for hip hop classes. Sweatshirts are great because they are a layer that can easily be taken off if you get too warm and put on if you need to get warmed up in class. Ensuring that your body is warmed up can help prevent injury, which is why sweatpants and sweatshirts are ideal for this type of dance. It is also important to note that pants are far more common than shorts for hip hop dance as dancers need to slide along the floor. Choosing long pants will prevent them from scraping their knees or bruising easily.
How to Wear Your Hair while Performing Hip Hop
It is very common and appropriate to wear your hair in a high ponytail so that you can see your teacher and are not distracted by constantly pushing your hair out of your face. If you have thick hair, you should wear a low ponytail, to prevent your hair from hitting you in the eyes every time you spin or turn. Tie your hair tight and pin down any loose pieces to prevent them from being a distraction. However, it is also common for dancers to wear their hair loose in a hip hop class. If you choose to do this, you should still choose a style that is not going to distract you. If you need to be adjusting your hair during your dance performance, it will end up as part of your dance routine which may not look professional. Braids and buns are also great options for hip hop dancers.
What Else Should You Bring to Hip Hop Class?
- Dance bag: Dedicate a small travel bag for dance to keep all your supplies inside. It can be time-consuming and counterproductive to reuse your school bag for dance classes.
- Refillable water bottle: Staying hydrated is vital for dance classes as you’ll be sweating and moving around a lot. Bring a refillable water bottle so you can refill it when you get thirsty.
- Healthy Snack: Let’s face it, dancing works up an appetite. Your dance class may not be long enough that you need a lunch or dinner break, but it’s good to bring a piece of fruit, trail mix, yogurt, or other light snack to eat after class if you’re hungry.
- Gym towel: This will help you dry off if you get sweaty during class. You should bring a fresh towel for each class.
- Positive attitude: You might be nervous about your first dance class or for a practice presentation, but if you are open to making new friends and learning new things, you’ll have a great attitude and get the most out of your class.
Choose Hip Hop Dance Classes at Performing Dance Arts
Looking for the right dance school for your child to learn hip hop dance classes? Performing Dance Arts is the right place to go! Our trained and experienced dance teachers can help your child absorb as much as possible from their classes and will support their learning by ensuring they are properly dressed, hydrated, and educated. Contact us today to enroll your child in our hip hop dance classes in Toronto or Etobicoke or call us to learn more about our classes. If you want a firsthand idea of what our dance studios are like, simply pay us a visit!