About Our Acro Dance Classes
Acro dance incorporates acrobatic movements into dance routines and is one of the more challenging dance styles to teach and to learn. We are proud and excited to teach acro dance classes in Toronto ,Vaughan at Performing Dance Arts. Acro dance emboldens our dancers to be physically fit, flexible, strong, and to contort their bodies in ways that may not be immediately comfortable. This, on top of being completely disciplined in the technical aspects of the dance form, makes it a challenging, yet rewarding form of dance that can take dancers to a whole new level.
Our Acro Dance Competition Videos
Our Acro Dance Studio in Vaughan
Our Acro Dance Studio In Toronto
Acro Dance Classes at Performing Dance Arts
Andrea Mulder is our accomplished acro dance instructor and has successfully built the Acro Dance program at Performing Dance Arts over the past 12 years. She is unparalleled in her own achievements as a dancer and has won several awards across North America for her training and choreography. Mulder is trained and skilled in all disciplines of dance and knows that her true calling is in teaching others the art.
Our Acro Dance Programs
Regardless of your child’s age or ability, we take pride in being able to offer different acrobatic dance classes for kids and other types of programs to help facilitate their journey through the art of dance.
Performing Dance Arts has continuously offered a wide range of programming for children to gain exposure, aptitude, and experience. Our recreational acro dance programs for kids’ are as follows:
- Dance-In-Your-Pants: If your child is two to three years old, they may be ready for toddler acro dance classes. They have the opportunity to join our Dance-In-Your-Pants program which provides toddlers preparation for acro dance classes though socializing with other children and taking instruction from an adult teacher.
- Pre-Dance: If your child is three to five years old, they now qualify to take our pre-dance class. Here, they will be guided through fun exercises that encourage them to explore their movement range, and develop the necessary attributes—strength, conditioning, coordination, flexibility, balance—for dance.
Competitive Dance Programs
We understand how competition can hone a dancer by intensifying their preparation and giving them the experience of working under pressure. For young dancers, there is nothing more satisfying than standing tall, knowing you did your best. That’s why we offer a variety of competitive dance programs for children.
- Part-Time: Train in a variety of styles, including acro dance, for five hours divided into mandatory classes over two days a week. There are also three mandatory competitions that occur in April and May.
- Micro-Mini: Your child will dance two to three days per week to attend between four to five mandatory classes. There are also two to three mandatory local competitions that occur in April and May.
- Full-Time: Our full-time competitive program is designed to provide the highest-level of training possible. If you are selected, you will have the opportunity to work with sought-after choreographers and undergo different examinations. There are four to five mandatory competitions in April and May, with the potential for a National Competition in July for certain students.
About Our Acro Dance Instructors
Our instructors are internationally acclaimed, and able to perform and teach with years of experience and talent. For years they have helped to develop young dancers and inspire them with their own success, awards, and impressive careers. They have educational and practical background in both the art of dance, and in teaching, so you can be sure your child is getting instruction from highly-trained, experienced, and personable instructors.
FAQ about Acro Dance for Kids
Is Acro Dance Safe for My Kid?
Acro dance is challenging but safe for kids, as the list of acro dance moves require and build upon your child’s flexibility and agility. The movements are taken from gymnastics and are used as rhythmic dance moves, transforming it into acro dance. Acrobatic movements are taken from gymnastics and can include handstands, flips, handsprings, and cartwheels! It’s important to note, however, that gymnastics by itself does not qualify as dance; it’s only through correctly utilizing the techniques as rhythmic dance moves that gymnastics transforms to acro dance. Performing Dance Arts offers acro dance classes in Vaughan and Toronto at recreational and competitive levels.
What Age Can My Child Start Acro Dance?
As early as two years old, your child can begin acro dance classes. We have special programs designed for toddlers so you can get them moving and help them live healthy, active lives, early on.Read more: Should I Consider My Kid’s Age for Dance Lessons?
What Are the Benefits of Acro Dance Classes for Kids?
There are many benefits to acro dance classes for kids. This type of dance builds strength, flexibility, agility, and balance as it incorporates movements from gymnastics and turns them into dance moves. Specifically, acro helps to develop and improve core strength, upper and lower body strength, coordination, spine stability, and works as a part of a healthy, social and physically active lifestyle. Since children’s bodies are growing, acro dance can help them build a strong physical foundation and confidence as they reach puberty and eventually enter adulthood. Read more: What Are the Benefits of Acro Dance Classes for Kids?
Can My Child Try Acro Dance Classes before Registering?
Students and aspiring young dancers are encouraged to try a class before registering for a full semester. We offer open classes for young dancers to try different styles before they commit to any dance classes. This also works in our favour, allowing us to place them in the most appropriate class for their skill level.
Can I Watch My Child’s Acro Dance Lessons?
Parents are able to watch their children’s lessons through closed circuit video cameras in each studio through a television in the lobby. This allows parents to supervise and see their children dance without being a distraction in the classroom.
What Clothes and Shoes Should My Child Wear for Acro Dance Classes?
For acro dance, children should wear a leotard or tank top, leggings or tights, and bare feet. Children should not wear shorts or loose clothing as they can be a hazard during the dance movements and exercises.